Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Let's Just Psalm About It



Have you ever felt like you've been tossed in the middle of an epic battle, waged with the sole purpose of unhinging your insanity? I know I have.
A continual shift in circumstances leaves you feeling unstable and before you regain your balance a surprise attack from the right whips you across the face and you stumble.
I never saw that comment coming from them...
You struggle to your knees but look up just in time to be thrown backward by the blow of unmet expectations.
How can something so small make me feel so incredibly insignificant?
What we so often forget is we are in a war--a battle for our contentment, our joy, hope, faith, and love. The precious gifts resulting from a life released to Jesus is constantly under attack by the one whose one purpose is to render us ineffective.
"For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places." -Eph. 6:12
Recently I've been reawakened, realizing the victim mentality I was beginning to own. When poisoned thoughts invaded my mind my response was grief rather than retaliation. I listened.
Rachel...you'll never amount to what you thought you would...you're not someone others count on
I stagger.
You're a failure and you have no place...you'll never fit in
I wince.

Then I had a picture of myself on a great battlefield, curled on the ground, but in my right hand was a great sword and in my left a shield. I was equipped with everything I needed to fight, but instead I listened to lies telling me to give up. Do you know what's so funny and unimpressive about the enemy? He has no power to actually take away our spirit and faith. All he can do is try to manipulate us to believe we can't use them.
When I took a breath from feeling overwhelmed by anxiety, stress, hurt, and pain and leaned into the Father's arms He reminded me of how entirely I am covered by His grace.
"...so that by two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us. We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters into the inner place behind the curtain, where Jesus has gone as a forerunner on our behalf, having become a high priest forever after the order of Melchizedek." -Heb 2:18-20
So in the midst of whatever whirlwind you're in, whether your home life is unstable, finances are depleted, you seem to have lost your purpose, new relationships are being forged, or life just is taking your breath away, cling fast to the spirit that has equipped you for everything you need, and when all else fails...just Psalm about it.

Father I know you put me here, you have answered my prayers in so many ways--but do not be silent now. 
Protect me, for I am abused in spirit and in flesh.
I flee into you my refuge--hiding from my adversaries and a world that seems so impossible right now.
Allow me to simply be with you, to feel your goodness and mercy.
For I know and will hold fast to your promises, regardless of how impossible life seems.
I am not alone.

Don't forget to adventure today!
-Ray



 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your blog design is so cute! I also love your biblical quotes :) Would you be willing to check out my blog and maybe follow me?

    xo,
    www.miielife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Melanie! I'll definitely take a look at your blog.

      Delete