Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Digging Deeper...

   It's funny--as each day passes I find myself more attracted to the smaller towns of Surbiton, Kingston, Wimbledon, ext., rather than the glitz and glam of the city of London. There is a peace, a regard for family, and tradition that I have never found in the states. And yes, I do believe I am picking up my fair share of British jargon. So far I have transitioned from grabbing "some" coffee to just grabbing a coffee. I think things are rather brilliant and say cheers when leaving the pub. I also have finally started looking right first when crossing the road and never ask my waiter to split the bill.
   There are honestly not many things that I miss, although I feel that the states are my home and it gives me comfort to know that I can go back. But why do I want to get comfortable? Isn't the whole point about living a life that is unknown and wild? My spirit has also been incredibly convicted as well.
   I walk through museum after museum, seeing relics and artwork with such grandeur and detail, most of which echo some sort of religious story or image. And yet, so many seem empty--just an intricate scene on a canvas that is awesome to behold, but doesn't  really get the point across.
   I had a conversation once about art done just to make art and art created from a passion and a purpose. The difference is staggering.
    But I want to take that a step further: I believe also that when religious art is made, there is a profound difference between those that are simply good at what they do, and those that are created to make art--and know that this is their purpose. I saw that today at the Victoria and Albert museum in a painting much more faded than the rest and not even as extravagant--but the emotion that it brought moved me more than any gilded alter piece. It was made with a purpose--it was created from passion. That is the kind of life I want to lead. One knowing that what I accomplish comes from my very core of being, that everything in me desires to accomplish this work, and that its purpose is solitary: to glorify God and lead men before his throne.
    London was once a great city--one that seemed to understand this purpose as well. It got lost somewhere along the way. But God always leaves a remnant.

No comments:

Post a Comment