Sunday, July 3, 2011

These feet were made for walking

   And that is what I feel I have done the majority of my time in London: walk. I probably even get up and walk around my dorm room at night because I am so used to it...okay, well maybe that's a stretch. Seriously though, if I owned a pedometer it would be busted through, no joke.
   What, you ask, has caused this college student to walk so far and so often? Well it all began with a sport.
   Wimbledon.
   Yes, that racquet and ball, visor, and tennis shoe sport that boasts some of the highest paying athletes in the world. This is what drew my feet to the endless walk of town and countryside. Sort of.
    I actually never even saw a match at Wimbledon, and while I saw into the Center Court shopping area--I breezed right on past never really stopping to check the progress of sed matches.
   Tennis really isn't my thing. I know someone else appreciates it all much more than this girl, but what do I love? Beautiful houses, beautiful parks, people watching, and eating ice cream. And that's what I did.


    Oh, and these are the "Rugger-bees," like a flag-rugby team for little British tykes

 
   Yes, the day was as delightful as it seems.
   We got to see the lovely town of Wimbledon from end to end, because while we were trying to get to the courts, we ended up going in the opposite direction from the train station. We ended up making it, and although it is a Wimbledon tradition to stand in the "cue" (the line), sit on the grounds, eat strawberries and cream, and drink Pimms, we vouched to save our money, and instead sat in Wimbledon park watching amateur tennis matches while eating ice cream and being entertained by British tots. After that, without meaning to--again--we walked through almost ever neighborhood in Wimbledon. We were able to see how incredible these houses and their gardens were, and if I someday run into a load of money, I know where one of my London houses will be.
    Once we got on the train again, we opted to head to London. Our choice of free entertainment was the Science museum, and I must say, it was pretty cool.

    I don't really know why, but when we were leaving the museum, a group of young children were being led around in cockroach outfits...weird.
    After the science museum (this is when we began to verbally affirm our exhaustion) we went on the hunt for cheap London food, which is something hard to come by.
   That time of walking is mostly a blur, but I can safely say we walked over 5 miles looking.
   Eventually we found the cutest little Italian cafe called Gino's Coffee Bar, and I got my first order of fish and chips in London!
    Now that is a day full of power walking!
   My day today, much more refined walking.
   It began with experiencing the incredible church service of Westminster Abbey--so if you were one of those who clicked on the telly to see the royal wedding, I definitely heard those amazing choir boys again.
   After Westminster, we went to the most logical place while still being dressed up: Harrods. And for the next 5 hours, we lived there. Our lunch was incredible, and all the food stalls and other shops blew me away. We were even there during the only sale they have all year long, and due to that, when I bought strawberry cheesecake at the dessert counter, I got another for free!
    Harrods led us to another state of "I need to sit down" so we found a cool pub down the road, and again sat and realized how we were going to miss the pub atmosphere coming back to America.




   
   After about a 45 minute tube-to-tube-to-train-to dorm trip, me and Marianne took and evening jog around the Thames, running across a fox digging up some garbage on the way back. He wasn't fazed at all while we gawked at him for about 5 minutes. Then it was off to room to finally get some much needed R&R.
    I hope my mom is up for giving me a foot massage when I get back...hint, hint.

No comments:

Post a Comment